Psychology of Boxing - Part 2
Last Week we have seen how sports psychology plays a pivotal part in boxing, both in the gym work and during actual matches. We are going to see the continuation in this week also.
Psychology of Boxing
Successful boxers demonstrate nothing but positive mental deliberations before fights.
A question frequently asked is whether a boxer intends to injure his or her opponent? The answer is that boxers (like all competitors) are there to win, and in boxing, injuring your opponent is frequently a necessary part of winning. You, thus, have to be psychologically set to induce injury, and show no mercy in doing so – That's a psychological mindset that’s subtly different from intending to injure, still, it’s important to fete what seems a bit of a contradiction. When a fighter sees that their opponent is hurt, this is seen as a sign of 'target attainment’; since your goal is to win the bout, this may well involve inflicting additional damage. Differ that from football (soccer if you prefer that term) for illustration, where if a player is hurt the verbal rule is to stop play and let him be treated. In boxing, however, seeing an opponent recoil after receiving a body punch acts in a motivating way, and boxers who allow their opponent time to recover aren’t likely to be much more successful. You must subsidize on the fewest sign of weaknesses in your opponents, and any psychological sign of their weakness is an index that victory is possible for you. So boxers learn to disguise when they feel hurt or tired, outwardly trying be calm and confident when in reality they are physically stumbling. Not everyone is psychologically suitable to do that successfully. The boxer places all duty of care and the well-being of his opponent, on the referee.
Referees generally complete their pre-match detail by telling you to "Cover Yourself At All Times"
Those are not bare words
Think about this paragraph for a moment - Improving as a boxer in training is perhaps 90% physical and 10% mental. Meaning that you have to work hard to make it to happen. Still, once you step into that ring the probabilities can often reverse, and success becomes 90% mental and 10% physical. You formerly have the exertion, boxing technique, and fight strategy, now you have to make sure that you stay calm under pressure and keep yourself psychologically concentrated on the right things.
For example, your attention needs to stay in the moment, on implementing this punch and this punch only. However, ( allowing about winning or losing) or slip back to the history (a former mistake or bout), you'll end up getting yourself too tense and distracted to perform to your full eventuality in the ring, If you let your mind jump ahead to the future. This means that you have to be suitable to mentally rebound snappily from your miscalculations and not carry them into the coming round or bout
Want to upgrade your boxing gloves? Check out our cobra series boxing gloves range made of Carbon Leather for durability and IMF padding for optimised protection.
Leave a comment